The one thing I’ve always been able to count on is Grandma Dorothy’s homemade bread. I don’t think I have ever crossed the threshold of her cozy kitchen, in all my thirty-one years, without a slice of bread finding its way into my hands.
The most incredible thing about Grandma Dorothy’s everlasting bread trick is that she is mother to eleven kids. Eleven! And she has enough grandchildren and great-grandchildren to populate a not so small town with only her own kin.
I can’t compete with Eleven kids, but I just doubled my brood overnight. Six kids!
I’ve only been in this Second Marriage – Six Kids gig for two weeks, but I can tell we have a lot of hills to climb. Blending two families and different parenting styles is an Olympic hurdle on its own, never mind all the laundry to be tackled.
Mealtime with a husband and six kids is all new too. I’m still figuring out how much to cook and what to cook and when I’m going to do all that cooking. And between the six kids, we now have a peanut allergy, a gluten intolerance, some picky eaters, one who never stops eating, one who never wants to eat, a chocolate chip addiction, and a whole lot of adorable freckles. It’s an all new family kitchen around here.
However, if my Grandma Dorothy’s six decades of mothering show me anything, it’s that it is all worth it in the end.
I don’t know how my grandmother managed with her eleven kids. I really don’t know how I will manage with six kids. But, I’m going to take my first cue from Grandma and start with a loaf of bread.
|Whole Grain Strawberry Banana Bread||
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 1 cup unbleached white flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped dates (optional)
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1 1/2 cups mashed ripe banana, about 3 large bananas
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup whole milk plain yogurt (greek yogurt works well)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a standard bread pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift together the dry ingredients. Stir in the chopped dates.
- In a medium bowl, combine wet ingredients and mix well.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour in the banana mixture. Stir until just combined. Gently fold in sliced strawberries.
- Bake for 55 mins or until golden brown and cooked through. Cool on wire rack before serving.