Written by Katie of GoodLife Eats.
This time of year I start looking for foods that are a little more comforting and a little less just something quick to get on the table. But it still feels like summer as it hasn’t quite cooled down much yet so I don’t want to turn on the oven very often.
Skillet dinners are perfect for that. This Skillet Chicken and Zucchini Parmesan doesn’t require very much babysitting at the stove. It cooks, for the most part, unattended and doesn’t make my kitchen as hot as turning the oven on.
I’ve been craving the flavors of Chicken Parmesan and a delicious tomato sauce to sop up with crusty bread or pour over pasta.
Right now things are still feeling a little hectic as we settle into our new school and work routines so I’ve adapted a more time consuming Chicken Parmesan into a skillet meal to cut down the time.
All photos by Katie of GoodLife Eats.
In this version, the chicken doesn’t need to be pounded super thin, just pounded a bit to tenderize it. There’s no dredging in flour and frying in butter or oil which cuts down again on prep time and also on calories. And the chicken breasts are cut in half so they cook faster (really a full breast is usually too large for me anyway).
I rely on Aimee’s fabulous and easy 4-Ingredient Tomato Sauce which can be made ahead and stored in the freezer rather than preparing a more time consuming Sundried Tomato Sauce like I usually do. Being that it is the end of summer, I threw in some sliced zucchini for good measure.
My favorite pan for cooking one-dish skillet style dinners is hands down the Le Creuset Enameled Cast-Iron 3.5 -Quart Round Braiser. It is the perfect size for our family of four. I love that it is deeper than a traditional skillet and has a lid that fits just right. Not to mention that it moves seamlessly from stove to oven if you have a dish that needs both methods of cooking.
|Skillet Chicken and Zucchini Parmesan|| |
- 1/2 of a batch of Aimee's 4-Ingredient Tomato Sauce (found on Simple Bites)
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt, Pepper, and Dried Italian Seasoning, to taste
- 2 - 3 teaspoons Olive Oil
- 1/3 cup Fresh Parmesan Cheese, grated
- 1 medium sized zucchini, sliced about 1/3 of an inch thick
- 8 Fresh Mozzarella Cheese Slices
- Chopped Fresh Parsley and/or Fresh Basil , for garnish
- Pasta for serving, if desired
- Prepare 1/2 of a batch of Aimee's wonderful 4-Ingredient Tomato Sauce - this can be done in advance and refrigerated for a day or two or stored in the freezer.
- Cut each chicken breast in half. Using a meat tenderizer, pound each side of the breast. It isn't necessary to pound them until very thin, just a few whacks per side to help tenderize them.
- Sprinkle each side of the breast with salt, pepper, and dried Italian seasoning according to your preferences.
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a 3.5 quart stove top safe pan that has a lid. I love my Le Creuset Enameled Cast-Iron 3.5 -Quart Round Braiser for jobs like this.
- Place the chicken breasts in the pan and cook until browned, about 3-5 minutes per side. After browning the chicken, sprinkle them with freshly grated Parmesan. Pour the sauce over and cook covered on low to medium-low heat for 30 minutes.
- Remove the lid and arrange the zucchini on top in between the chicken pieces. At this time also layer a slice of fresh mozzarella on top of each piece of chicken. Replace lid and cook for another 15 minutes on low heat.
- Sprinkle with fresh parsley and basil, if desired, for a garnish and serve alongside pasta.
More Skillet Dinners to Try
- Greek Lemon Oregano Chicken Skillet Dinner | GoodLife Eats
- Spicy Thai Lime Chicken & Rice | The Cooking Photographer
- Braised Chicken with Lemon and Capers | The Urban Spork
- Bow Tie Pasta and Italian Turkey Sausage Skillet Meal | Coupon Clipping Cook
- Fiesta Chicken and Rice | Tracey’s Culinary Adventures
- Southwest Chicken Chili Mac….Skillet Style | Picky Palate
What are you enjoying for dinner now that the summer months are coming to a close?