What comes to mind when you think of weeknight dinner? A casserole? Pot of stew? A quick pasta?
For us, it changes from season to season, but for now, it looks like this one-pot rice noodle dish with chicken and cabbage. It comes together in abut 15 minutes, and it then scooped into bowls and passed around the table. Extra sriracha for Danny and me, please.
Inspired from a dish in Steamy Kitchen’s Healthy Asian Favorites, this Chinese Chicken & Cabbage Spaghetti has become a recent family favorite. I mean, who doesn’t love slurping noodles?
The boys are making slow progress with their chopsticks, but it makes for good entertainment around the table.
Enjoy the dish in its simplicity, or bulk it up a little with extra additions such as broccoli florets, sesame seeds, or slivers of carrot.
|Quick Chinese Chicken & Cabbage Spaghetti|| |
- 1 package rice noodles (400g)
- 3 tbsp Tamari soy sauce
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp sriracha
- 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp sesame oil, divided
- 1 lb raw ground chicken
- 1 lb Savoy or Napa cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup chopped white leek
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1 tsp grated garlic
- Prepare noodles according to package directions. I soaked mine in very hot water for 10 minutes. Drain and reserve.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the ingredients for the sauce: soy sauce, vinegar, sriracha, cornstarch and 1 tablespoon sesame oil.
- Have all ingredients prepared before your begin cooking.
- Heat a wok or a non-stick skillet over high heat and add the remaining sesame oil. Carefully add the ground chicken and cook, stirring often, for about 3 minutes or until browned. Add the cabbage, leek, ginger and garlic all at once and stir fry over high heat for 2-3 minutes or until wilted and soft.
- Add the noodles and the sauce and mix well until heated through. Serve hot.
What is a weeknight meal you are enjoying these days?