Some like it hot, some like it cold, some like it in the pot, nine days old. And so goes the ditty about porridge.
Our family happens to like our oatmeal hot, especially when we’ve just crawled out of a tent in the middle of the forest. Sometimes I like to go all out with my campfire breakfast, but most days we’re looking for something quick and comforting.
Instant maple oatmeal is a simple breakfast my children beg for both at home and at the campsite – and I’m not talking about the packaged variety. This homemade version of a grocery staple is a recipe to keep in your back pocket year round. It yields a tasty breakfast that is easy to prepare and replaces a popular supermarket item with something much more nourishing.
This homemade instant maple oatmeal with ground chia seed is one of the best items you can pack for a simple, yet satisfying breakfast. The chia helps to thicken the oatmeal as well as contributes an energy boost for the morning on the trail.
Maple is my boy’s favourite sweetener, and as most grocery stores around here carry organic maple flakes, that was our oatmeal flavour of choice. Substituting maple sugar or raw cane sugar works well, too, and feel free to toss in any add-in such as chopped walnuts, raisins, or flaked coconut.
We’re home from a three-day tenting trip, where we began our days with a brisk hike before the heat of the day. When you’re trekking to get views like the one above, you’ll be glad you began the day with a hearty bowl of oats, trust me. I never leave for a camping trip without a jar, along with my essential kitchen tools, of course. All you need to do is boil water to enjoy a bowl of maple oatmeal.
Sufficient to say, my three kids love this instant oatmeal. Noah saw me prepping a double batch last week for this camping trip and begged to have a bowl for lunch!
I’ll keep this short as I have a date with a mound of camping laundry and a bottle of stain remover, but whether you are camping or not, try this easy oatmeal and get a jump on breakfast.
And be sure to stay tuned for a few more camping posts this week.
|Homemade Instant Maple Oatmeal with Ground Chia Seed|| |
- 4 cups quick oats
- 2 Tablespoons ground chia seed
- 1/2 cup organic maple flakes
- 3 Tablespoons non-fat powdered milk
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- In a food processor fitted with the blade attachment, combine 2 cups quick oats, ground chia, maple flakes, powdered milk, cinnamon and salt.
- Pulse about 6-8 times, until the oats are very fine, but not powder (do not make flour!)
- Add in the remaining 2 cups of quick oats and pulse 2-3 times to combine.
- Transfer instant oatmeal to a glass jar or airtight container and store in a cool dry place for up to 2 weeks.
- To make instant oatmeal: add 1/2 cup of mix to a bowl or a mug and top with 1 cup of boiling hot water. Stir, cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Stir again, and enjoy.
Maple sugar or raw cane sugar for maple flakes.
Flax seed for chia seed.
Eliminate powdered milk for a vegan version.
What is your quick, hit-the-trail camping breakfast?