I love the stretch of days between Christmas and the New Year. The holidays slow down again and there is a lot more time for relaxing and enjoying the family at home.
There is also a lot of time for eating and snacking . . . perhaps a little too much time! If you’ve already eaten as many candy canes and sweet rolls as I have this holiday season, this Creamy Broccoli Spinach Soup will help get you back on track.
It’s a Detox Soup in the sense that it will help you clear out some of your holiday-pie-eating-guilt! It is also packed with fiber, vitamins, and minerals. It’s healthy, but still quite delicious. Dare I say, it might even be a little soul cleansing.
As you head into the New Year with big goals and kitchen resolutions, try this soup. Serve it with an artisan loaf of whole grain bread, or a pot of cooked brown rice and it makes a deliciously healthy post-holiday meal, a meal you can feel really good about eating.
|Creamy Broccoli Spinach Soup||
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 medium leeks, chopped
- 2 parsnips, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds of broccoli, trimmed and chopped
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh marjoram
- 5 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 cups packed spinach
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 cup coconut milk
- In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, leeks, and garlic and sauté until softened.
- Add the next five ingredients to the pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook until broccoli and parsnips are soft, about 15 minutes. Stir in spinach and lemon zest.
- Remove from heat. Using a submersion blender, puree soup carefully until very smooth. Alternatively, you can do this in batches in a blender, being careful because the soup is very hot.
- Return to low heat and stir in the coconut milk. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Heat through and then serve.
Did you indulge over the holidays? How are you getting back on track?