This time of year we eat a lot of sweet potatoes at our house. Since the weather turned and the leaves started falling, we’ve been enjoying Sweet Potato Quinoa Tacos, Black Bean Sweet Potato Chili, and even a few Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes here and there.
We also normally include a Sweet Potato dish in our Thanksgiving meal line-up. We don’t, however, have a favorite family recipe that we rely on every year.
Thinking back on recent holidays, I’m noticing the tradition that is evolving is one that includes trying a new sweet potato recipe every year. Over the past few years we’ve tried everything from the classic casserole to sweet potato tamales.
The oven is always in high demand during the holidays, so having a slow cooker version of this classic dish saves both space and time. Pop the ingredients in the slow cooker and you really don’t have to think about the sweet potatoes again until it’s time to dish them up.
Topping the warm potatoes with toasted pecans and lightly sweetened coconut flakes adds just the right amount of crunch and flavor. If you will miss the familiar mini-marshmallow topping, you can of course include them in this recipe.
|Coconut-Pecan Slow Cooker Sweet Potatoes|| |
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons flaked sweetened coconut
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans, toasted
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup flaked sweetened coconut
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- Coat your slow cooker with cooking spray. Place first 7 ingredients in slow cooker and toss to combine. Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours, or until potatoes are tender. Lightly mash mixture. Sprinkle topping over potatoes and serve warm.
Are Sweet Potatoes normally part of your holiday menus?