Our weekend farmer’s market outing was a soggy affair, the kind where you dash through the droplets, a child in each hand, and make a beeline for the tarps. It was not the time nor the place to leisurely stroll from stall to stall admiring the butter tarts and the goose eggs; instead I headed straight for the asparagus.
I picked up two fat bundles, thinking I would -finally- get a batch of pickles put up, but the asparagus didn’t last more than a few hours in my kitchen. On Sunday, as the water dripped down off the porch roof and I faced yet another chilly, wet day, I wrenched open the fridge and pulled out bacon, eggs – and the local asparagus.
We needed something substantial and beautiful to beat the weather blahs. Strong coffee is good and all, but it only does so much. This quick breakfast of crispy bacon, eggs, and roasted asparagus hit the spot and I’m a little shy to admit that Danny and I polished off the entire pan between the two of us.
Later on the sun came out, but at that point, the weather didn’t matter anymore.
Do you ever feel intimidated by a bacon & egg breakfast? I occasionally do, which is why I don’t consent every time my boys ask for this favorite. Maybe it’s the grease I’ll have to deal with, or juggling two pans, plus a toaster, when really, I just want to relax on my Sunday.
Yesterday’s brunch, however, was dead simple. Everything was tossed into one pan and roasted in the oven, where the flavors combined perfectly, enhanced with fresh thyme and a little lemon zest. We happily scooped up the egg-topped asparagus and piled it onto thick buttered toast. Bacon and eggs just became more accessible.
If you’re contemplating this dish for an upcoming breakfast, brunch or even lunch, let me point out that not only is it fast and filling, but clean-up consists simply of a single pan. I don’t know about you, but I’m thinking Father’s Day brunch, with a Bloody Mary on the side. Now, that sounds manly.
|One-Pan Crispy Bacon and Roasted Asparagus with Baked Eggs|| || |
- 4-6 rashers of bacon
- 12-15 asparagus spears (about 350 grams)
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2-3 branches fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 eggs
- Preheat oven to 450F. Wash asparagus thoroughly, as they may be gritty, and use a vegetable peeler to remove the bottom two-thirds of peel.
- In a 9x13 roasting pan or Pyrex, lay the rashers (slices) of bacon. Place in the oven and cook for about 8 minutes or until crispy.
- Remove pan from oven and carefully transfer the bacon to a paper towel. Drain off most of the bacon fat, leaving about a tablespoon in the pan.
- Add the asparagus to the same pan and shake it around gently to coat the vegetables in grease. Arrange asparagus in a single layer and sprinkle it with lemon zest, thyme leaves, and pepper.
- Roast asparagus for about 8 minutes or until it begins to soften. Remove pan from the oven and gently crack the four eggs on top of the asparagus. Return the dish to the oven and roast another 4-5 minutes or until eggs have reached the desired doneness. Return bacon to the pan.
- Serve breakfast at once. Accompanying toast optional.
Vegetables for breakfast – yay or nay?