I‘ve been mourning the lack of produce at the farmers market in the last couple weeks.
It seems as if overnight the overflowing stalls of tomatoes and carrots disappeared, packing up their tables and baskets for the season and leaving a selection of local meat vendors and a few farmers that have access to hoop houses and green houses or specialize in winter squash and root vegetables. Long live the root vegetable.
At home, my garden is in the final days. Just this week we pulled the last bits of ever-hardy kale from the ground, cleaned them, and tucked them into the refrigerator alongside a collection of celeriac, daikon, and turnips. There the pile of evergreen leaves sat on the shelf just above the pomegranates, meeting me multiple times a day under the glaring bare bulb as I pulled breakfast, lunch, and dinner from the depths of the refrigerator.
Finally, after lamenting again over the lack of fresh-from-the-garden lettuces, I spotted the red and green and inspiration hit. It’s time to embrace fully the winter salad season.
Photos by Shaina Olmanson | FoodforMyFamily.com
It’s a season full of citrus and heartier greens, of strong flavors paired with fruit and salty, pungent cheeses, and an overwhelming amount of candied nuts.
While these salads are different in taste and texture from their summer counterparts, they’re every bit as fresh and fulfilling when you’re looking for a salad side. They’re also perfect for entertaining in the holiday season because you can and should dress kale salads and let them marinate for a bit before serving.
This particular salad pairs Lacinato kale with its nearly blue dark green leaves with crisp apples, tangy pomegranate, slightly sweet shallots, and a good, salty feta. It’s topped with a honey-sweetened champagne and lemon vinaigrette that brings all the flavors together seamlessly.
|Apple Pomegranate Kale Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette|| || |
- 2 tablespoons champagne vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound lacinato kale, washed and dried
- 1 honeycrisp or similar apple, thinly sliced
- 1 cup pomegranate arils
- 1/4 cup feta cheese
- 1 small shallot, thinly sliced
- In a medium bowl or cup, whisk together the champagne vinegar, lemon juice, honey, shallot, salt, and pepper. Slowly drizzle the olive oil into the mixture while whisking to emulsify. Set aside.
- Remove the rib of each piece of kale. Cut the kale into thin strips, 1/4" wide. Using your hands, squeeze the strips tightly to bruise. Pour the dressing over the kale and toss to coat. Allow to sit for at least 10 minutes before topping.
- When the kale has marinated, add in the apple slices, pomegranate arils, feta, and shallot. Toss to combine and serve immediately.
Are you enjoying the textures and flavours of winter salads yet?