Written by Kristen.
This time of year it is so easy to get caught up in the elaborate and forget all about the simple. We host a much anticipated holiday party each year with friends but to be honest with you, although I love our holiday party, I have really been struggling with how I was going to fit it in with our already crammed packed schedule.
Our party is typically big, with a full dinner, dessert, cocktails, presents and games… but it was more than I felt like I could handle with life being so crazy this year. So instead of completely cancelling the party, I had to simplify.
A simpler option to a full holiday party is to host a simple holiday cocktail hour. This way we can still see our friends, celebrate the season together, yet I won’t be so stressed about losing an entire day devoted to planning and preparing for a big party.
Our friends are also busy, so they have welcomed the opportunity to socialize yet not eat up an entire evening.
As I’ve been planning, I’ve come across some great tips to help keep our holiday cocktail hour fun and simple.
Tips for a simple holiday cocktail hour:
- Set a short time frame. 1-2 hours at the most will help to keep your cocktail hour simple.
- Request help. Ask your friends to bring ingredients for their favorite cocktail or holiday appetizer or sweet treat.
- Keep it casual. Let your friends know this is just a casual, laid back gathering. That will give them an idea of what to expect when walking through your door.
- Hire a bartender. Since you aren’t spending the money you would on a full meal, take some of the money you’ve saved and hire someone to mix the drinks for you!
- Relax and have fun. Focus on your guests and enjoy the short time to celebrate together!
Connecting with friends is important, especially when life gets crazy. It is easy to lose touch and get caught up in the hustle and bustle of the season. A simple holiday cocktail hour will be just what you need to reconnect and get through the rest of the season!
Here is an idea for a festive holiday recipe you can share at your event – Cookies and Cream Cocktail.
Photo by Kristen Doyle of Dine & Dish
|Cookies and Cream Cocktail||
- 1 ounce Bailey’s Irish Cream
- 1 ounce Creme de Cacao
- 2 ounces Heavy Cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- Corn syrup and crushed sugar cookies, optional
- Dip the rim of your glass in corn syrup, then into the crushed sugar cookies.
- Pour the Irish Cream, Creme de Cacao, Heavy Cream, Vanilla and brown sugar into a martini shaker filled with ice. Shake until well blended.
- Pour into a small martini glass. Garnish with a small, homemade sugar cookie, if desired.
What is your favorite festive cocktail?