Written by Cheri of Kitchen Simplicity.
Happy Fourth of July! For those of you who may be looking for a last-minute Independence Day dessert or just something fun and summery to make on a whim, this dessert is for you. Puff pastry stars stuffed with a whipped lemon cream cheese filling and summery berries of blue and red.
Puff pastry is my go-to for last-minute desserts because no matter what you do to them, you’re guaranteed the end product is going to be delicious. Plus, you can bake them into any shape and size you want, making them a perfect compliment to any occasion.
Today I chose to roll out the puff pastry, cut out star shapes with a cookie cutter and bake until golden. Once cooled, they get stuffed with a light and fluffy lemon cream cheese filling and slices of summery sweet, fresh fruit.
They make a perfect one- or two-bite dessert for a Fourth of July barbecue, or any summer day that just needs a sweet little pick me up.
|Berries & Cream Pastry Stars|| |
- Puff pastry
- 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- Zest and juice of half a lemon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup cold heavy cream
- sliced strawberries and blueberries
- Roll puff pastry out thinly on a lightly floured piece of parchment paper. Cut out star shapes. Remove excess puff pastry and transfer the parchment paper, with the stars, onto a baking sheet. Bake at 400ºF for 10-12 minutes or until golden. Remove to wire wracks to cool.
- For lemon curd, cream together cream cheese and sugar. Stir in lemon zest, juice and vanilla. Set aside.
- Whip cream to stiff peaks. Fold into cream cheese mixture in two additions. Serve immediately or refrigerate until serving.
- Once ready to serve, split puff pastry stars in half, top bottom half with a spoonful of cream filling and a couple slices strawberries and blueberries. Serve immediately.
What will you be eating this Fourth of July?