Where we live, when the jugs of fresh apple cider appear in stores with a sticker boasting “New Crop”, it’s time to snag one for the basket.
Fresh apple cider is sometimes called ‘cold pressed’ or ‘fresh pressed’ and is an unfiltered, unsweetened pure apple juice. It is often unpasteurized, and recognizable by its cloudy brown colour.
Cider can be purchased from farmers’ markets, roadside stands, and local orchards, but cider really tastes best when you make your own. Look for a tutorial coming soon on that very topic! You can also find it in the refrigerated area of the organics section in your grocery store.
It may not look pretty, but fresh pressed apple juice has one ingredient: new apples, and it’s full of Vitamin C. My kids call it brown juice. On cold days, I serve it to them slightly warmed, with a little cinnamon sprinkled on the top. They tilt their cups far back to get every last drop.
5 Uses for Fresh Apple Cider
Cider can be used for much more than just sipping for your daily dose of vitamins; below are five ways I like to add it to my day-today cooking.
- Simmer up a batch of Apple Pie Steel Cut Oats in your slow cooker, but instead of water, use fresh apple cider. Just know that your children may never be happy with plain oatmeal again.
- Try these Slow-Cooker Sweet & Sour Turkey Meatballs, but replace the orange juice in the sauce with apple cider for an extra punch of both sweet and tart flavours.
- Cover a beef brisket with cider and add a sprig of rosemary, chopped apples and a few onions for a dinner of Apple Cider Braised Brisket. Perfect for the cool weather.
- Simmer a pot of dried beans, replacing half the water with cider. Add a pour of molasses and a spoonful of Dijon mustard and enjoy seasonal cider beans.
- Keep a pot of Hot Spiced Apple Cider on the back of the stove for cool fall afternoons, then treat the kids and yourself when they get home from school.
More recipe featuring apple cider:
- Spiced Apple and Pear Butter :: Bluebonnets and Brownies
- Apple Cider Spice Bread :: Sugarcrafter
- Lemon Cider Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic :: Palachinka
- Cinnamon Apple Pie Quick-Bread :: IVillage
- Hard Cider Braised Turkey Thighs and Apples :: In Sock Monkey Slippers
How do you like to cook or bake with apple cider?