Creamy Broccoli Spinach Soup
Servings 6 people
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 medium leeks chopped
- 2 parsnips peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds broccoli trimmed and chopped
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh marjoram
- 5 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 2 cups packed spinach
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 cup coconut milk
In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, leeks, and garlic and sauté until softened.
Add the next five ingredients to the pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook until broccoli and parsnips are soft, about 15 minutes. Stir in spinach and lemon zest.
Remove from heat. Using a submersion blender, puree soup carefully until very smooth. Alternatively, you can do this in batches in a blender, being careful because the soup is very hot.
Return to low heat and stir in the coconut milk. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Heat through and then serve.
Calories: 297kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 6mg | Sodium: 348mg | Potassium: 991mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 2170IU | Vitamin C: 121.2mg | Calcium: 124mg | Iron: 3.9mg