So much happened this week that it feels like we went from spring to summer overnight. I guess in a way we just did. Happy Summer Solstice!
I’m busy prepping for our Cousin Camp-Out tonight so I’ll keep this short. We plan on sitting around the campfire on this longest day of the year, watching the fireflies and toasting gingerbread s’mores.
Here’s what made me incredibly hungry this week:
- Sour Cherry Hand Pies :: Brooklyn Supper ~ Beautiful words and photos from Elizabeth, as always.
- Bruschetta Bar :: What’s Gaby Cooking ~ Just…YES! Simple summer entertaining at it’s finest.
- Fig Bars :: Sprouted Kitchen ~ My kind of snacks on the go. Most certainly summer road trip material.
- Cornmeal Pancakes + Blueberry-Rhubarb Compote :: A Thought for Food ~ Brian’s pancakes are perfectly lovely.
- How to make your salad taste like a million bucks :: Food 52 ~ Lettuce and I are going steady again. This helps.
- A DIY Wedding Reception for 200: The Menu (With Planning Tips) :: The Kitchn ~ I’d totally attempt something this crazy – and enjoy it.
Here’s are a few of my favourite photos from the week that was:
Danny got a well-deserved breakfast in bed on Father’s Day of Banana, Bacon & Toasted Oat Waffles with Chocolate Chips and Maple Syrup. Plus a Rhubarb Smoothie.
He also got his wish of an afternoon canoe ride with the boys. And Sunday dinner was steak for two (top image), on the new deck, after the kids went down for the night.
I’m not sure if spinach and cabbage are legit companion planting candidates, but they look mighty pretty together.
This simple, all-natural facial is all you need to have a fresh face: Mash together 1/2 avocado, 2 T honey, 1 T yogurt and 1 T quick oats. Smear on face and neck. Wait 10-15 minutes. Wipe off and rinse face.
Fresh fruit, lime zest, toasted coconut and yogourt is my breakfast of champions. And will balance out the upcoming camping breakfast this weekend.
Our gifts for the teachers turned out nicely: two kinds of homemade crackers and a wheel of cheese.
Who knew making crackers was therapeutic? Okay, okay, I could have guessed.
Happy Summer, friends!