It’s a small miracle: the house is still quiet at eight-o-clock in the morning on this beautiful sunny Sunday.
We’re all recovering from yesterday’s birthday festivities and all the excitement that entailed. The birthday boy, Mateo, had set his alarm for 5:15am, and woke up instantly revved up for the day.
He ended up going for a four kilometer run with his father just to burn off some steam while I prepped his birthday breakfast. Nine is so adorable. My, they are all growing up so fast.
So here I am with my coffee; reflecting on the fact that February is nearly over. You’ve all been so kind to stick around while things are fairly quiet on the blog. I’ve been juggling exciting new projects with my cookbook edits in addition to the usual work that comes with raising three children, and well, blogging occasionally falls through the cracks.
That said, I’ve rounded up some of my favourite links from the web – recipes, articles and kitchen inspiration – for your reading pleasure…
- One-Pot Sausage and Broccoli Pasta with Herb and Garlic Breadcrumbs || Vikalinka ~ Julia knows her comfort food, that is for sure.
- A Cook’s Remedy : A gorgeous new video series from Aran Goyoaga. Sit back and prepare to be transported.
- Healthy Skillet Shepherd’s Pie :: Healthy Seasonal Recipes ~ We’re smack dab in the middle of comfort food season and this dish is a classic.
- Triple Layer S’Mores Brownies | Seven Spoons ~ Decadent on a whole new level. Also a great do-ahead party dessert.
- 3 Favorite Quick Treats :: Green Kitchen Stories ~ I want David around to make these for my next snack attack. Delish!
- Is eating together better for you? :: Delicious magazine ~ Very interesting perspective and a great practical takeaway.
- Make Ahead Tex Mex Sweet Potato Lunch Bowls :: She Likes Food ~ These are going on my menu for easy weekday lunches. Also? Izzy is one of my latest blog crushes.
- Everything I Know About Birthday Parties I Learned from My Mother :: Kitchn ~ Beautiful read. And I’m in birthday mode right now, so it is especially poignant.
- Beefaroni worth bragging about :: Tara O’Brady for the Globe and Mail ~ I made this epic casserole last weekend for family. It’s delicious, satisfying and perfect with a bottle of deep red wine.
And now a few photo highlights from February:
The Simple Bites winter pantry is getting less and less crowded, as we are eating up all my canned goods. Earlier in the month, I added two quarts of preserved lemons to the pantry shelves. They are so pretty and sunny! They are now in the fridge, waiting for spring and a million little ways they will improve my cooking. Look for a round-up coming this week for using preserved lemon in everyday cooking.
Clara and I had fun prepping Valentine’s treats by hand. She rolled, I dipped, she added the toppings and we both taste tested. This most excellent recipe for (vegan) Chocolate Macaroon Cookie Truffles is from the upcoming cookbook from Laura of The First Mess.
It doesn’t get any more Canadian than this: poutine eaten on skates on the Rideau Canal with a view of Parliament. Yes, We finally got our skate on the famous canal, with miles and miles of fine ice. It’s a good thing we carpe diemed when we did, a few weekends ago, because the canal is now closed for the season.
Spoils from our soup swap! It’s such a great way to bring people together in February. Make a big pot of soup to serve, open a bottle of wine and put out a cheese board. Then sit back and relax with friends while the afternoon slips away.
My Mateo turns 9 this week and we celebrate yesterday with a group of adorable third-graders. The birthday boy had requested homemade chicken strips and fries for his lunch, which ended up being a great do-ahead meal for me. I made my Buttermilk Chicken Strips and frozen them a week before the party. Yum!
Also at Mateo’s request, I made another Meringue-Topped, Layered Ice Cream Birthday Cake. It was much easier to tackle in February! This time around I even made my own meringues, which are so easy (when there is no humidity). I made this cake a little different than the original, but that is part of the fun with an ice cream cake – you can customize it any way you like.
Have a beautiful Sunday, friends!