It’s the last weekend of September. Although the weather has been beautiful, I feel like a frost is just around the corner, so I am working to get the remainder of the garden harvested.
We’re still eating crisp cucumbers, sweet carrots, spicy little jalepenos and tons of fresh herbs. We get a handful of beans every few days and there are green tomatoes to pick and ripen indoors.
Yesterday I harvested a bundle of rhubarb that went straight into a pie, together with the last of the late summer strawberries. We’ll savour it with friends at Sunday dinner today; I have a feeling it will taste a bit like Summer’s Last Hurrah.
We have a winner from our recent Bite this Book giveaway! Congratulations to Nora, who had this to say about her favourite fall vegetable:
“It’s a toss up between butternut squash and pumpkin, although butternut squash would probably win just because they are easier to chop up!”
A big thank you to all who entered the giveaway for Vegetarian Everyday: Healthy Recipes from Our Green Kitchen. Stay tuned for a few more giveaways as more fall books are released.
Here’s what I enjoyed reading around the web this week:
- Understanding Acid and pH in Boiling Water Bath Canning just got easier thanks to Marisa of Food in Jars.
- Fragrant Red Lentil and Tomato Soup from Food Nouveau has me enraptured with its rich colour.
- Heading into fall baking season your should definitely learn How to Read a Recipe from Joy the Baker.
- I want to cook my way through each and every one of these Cauliflower Recipes from Saveur.
- 7 Beautifying Baking Ingredients is an inspiring article on natural beauty products from Rosie of Sweetapolita.
- Erin of Naturally Ella shows us how to Stock a (beautiful) Whole Foods Pantry.
Have a wonderful weekend!