Spring sunshine has slowly started to thaw the mounds of snow that remain in patches around the homestead. Yesterday was the first time the tops of the raised beds were completely exposed, showing a beautiful mess of tangled branches and weed. Although the soil is still completely frozen, just seeing the earth felt like a page had turned for a new season.
Earlier in the week, Mateo made a painting of the garden – tomatoes, potatoes and carrots – all represented in bold colors and wide strokes. I’m not the only one pining to get out there and get started on a new chapter of backyard play.
Today it is raining, and it’s the perfect weather to curl up with a cup of tea and a slice of cake (I made this Chocolate Beet Cake again) and catch up on some reading.
Here are a few posts I favorited around the web this week:
- Spring Quiche, with butternut squash, peas, and feta :: Desserts for Breakfast
- Spinach Ricotta Lasagna Made by My Kids :: Food for My Family
- Do We Need a Health Revolution? :: Huff Post Healthy Living
- Lunch in Jars: Black Bean Salad with Jalapeño Lime Dressing :: Family Bites
- Coconut Lemon Curd :: Good Life Eats
We have a giveaway winner! Congratulations to Christine H who won a copy of the cookbook Steamy Kitchen’s Healthy Asian Favorites. Christine, you’ve been notified via email. A big thank you to all who entered.
Have a wonderful weekend, all!