|Slow-Cooker Christmas Chicken in Milk with Orange, Cinnamon & Savory |
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 4 hours 15 mins
Total time: 4 hours 30 mins
A milk-braised chicken infused with Christmas spices makes for a fragrant and tender dinner on a cold winter night.
- 1 whole chicken, about 4-5 lbs
- salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 8 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 2 sticks of cinnamon
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tsp ground savoury or 1 tbsp dried leaves
- two oranges, scrubbed
- Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. Pat the chicken dry with paper towel and season all over with salt and pepper.
- Melt the butter and the oil together in the pan, and when it is bubbling, add the chicken. Increase heat to medium high and sear the chicken all over, turning with a pair of sturdy tongs. This will take at least 10 minutes.
- Turn off heat and transfer the whole chicken to a slow cooker, placing it breast-side down. Drain most of the oil from the skillet, then place pan back over the heat and toss in the peeled garlic and cinnamon. Cook the aromatics for a minute or so, then add them to the slow cooker.
- Pour milk into the slow cooker and add the savory. Zest two oranges over the chicken and down into the milk. Cover with a lid, and place on HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 6 hours.
- Serve with mashed potatoes or a baked brown rice pilaf.
Recipe by Simple Bites at http://www.simplebites.net/slow-cooker-christmas-chicken-in-milk-with-orange-cinnamon-savory/