- 1 pound Meyer lemons (preferably unsprayed)
- 1/2 cup kosher salt (I like Diamond Crystal)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper corns
- 1/2 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice berries
- Wash the lemons well. Trim away the stem end and slice the lemons into six segments per piece of fruit.
- Place the spices into a large, wide mouth jar (choose one that can hold at least 24 ounces).
- Pour one tablespoon of kosher salt into the bottom of the jar and pack in the first six slices of lemon. Top lemon with salt and then more lemon and continue to alternate until the jar is filled and you’re out of lemons and salt.
- Place a tight-fitting lid on to the jar and shake.
- Let the jar sit in a cool, dark place for 2-3 weeks.
- Shake the jar daily to help distribute the salt, spices and liquid.
- Open the lid every few days, to allow the lemons to breathe and to release any fermentation pressure.
- Once the lemon skins look soft and the liquid has taken on a pleasantly funky, tangy taste, put the jar in the fridge. They will keep up to a year.
Recipe by Simple Bites at http://www.simplebites.net/spiced-preserved-lemons/