|Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Browned Butter |
Author: Aimee - adapted from the Vegetarian Kitchen Table Cookbook
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 2 hours
Total time: 2 hours 15 mins
A simple, do-ahead side dish featuring the humble sweet potato - and plenty of butter.
- 2 1/2 lbs sweet potatoes (about 3 large)
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic
- 6 Tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 325F and prepare a baking sheet lined with foil.
- Place sweet potatoes in center of prepared baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste. Place garlic between potatoes. Fold up foil to enclose potatoes and seal edges.
- Bake in preheated oven until potatoes are tender, about 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, to make browned butter, in a small saucepan, cook butter over medium heat until a hazelnut-brown color, reducing heat as necessary to prevent burning. Remove from heat and keep warm.
- Peel skins from potatoes and place flesh in a large bowl. Using a potato masher, mash potatoes, gradually adding browned butter. Alternately, wiz potatoes in a food processor until a smooth puree (this is what I did).
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot.
Recipe by Simple Bites at http://www.simplebites.net/roasted-whipped-sweet-potatoes-with-browned-butter/