|Dark Chocolate Beet Bundt Cake |
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 40 mins
Total time: 1 hour
Cook the beets ahead of time and this cake will come together fairly quickly. You can boil, steam, or roast your beets whole, then peel and grate them. Recipe adapted from the Green Market Baking Book.
- 3 medium beets, cooked and cooled
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup light olive oil
- 3/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3 medium eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup organic, unbleached white flour
- 1 cup organic whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Butter a 10-cup bundt pan and dust it lightly with cocoa.
- Grate the beets on a box grater and measure them; you should have 2 cups of grated beets. Transfer them to a medium colander and allow them to drain of any excess moisture while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the melted butter, olive oil, maple syrup and honey until everything is well blended.
- Add eggs, one at a time, and beat until smooth. Add the vanilla extract.
- Sift together the flours, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Gently fold the flour mixture into the wet ingredients, but do not over mix.
- Fold the beets into the batter until distributed, then scrape the batter into the prepared bundt pan and spread around until it is even.
- Bake for about 35-45 minutes, until a wooden skewer comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool, in the pan on a wire rack, for a good 20 minutes.
- Carefully invert the pan onto a plate, tap gently, and the cake will drop out. Serve warm or cool. Will keep for up to four days, well wrapped in plastic.
Recipe by Simple Bites at http://www.simplebites.net/a-recipe-for-unprocessed-dark-chocolate-beet-bundt-cake/