Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Total time: 40 mins
Adapted from The Unofficial Downton Abbey Cookbook
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup dried currants
- 3/4 cup raw cane sugar or dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 (17.5-ounce) package frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1⁄4 cup whole milk
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Thoroughly grease a large baking sheet.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir in currants, sugar, allspice, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Mix thoroughly until sugar is dissolved and fruit is coated. Remove from heat.
- Roll out thawed pastry on a clean, lightly-floured surface until it is 1⁄4-inch thick. Cut out eight circles, each roughly 5 inches in diameter; set aside remaining pastry dough for use in other recipes. Divide currant mixture evenly between circles, then moisten edges of pastries with a little bit of milk, fold together, and pinch to seal.
- Turn pastries upside down onto floured surface and carefully roll out to make a wider and flatter pastry. Be careful not to break the dough.
- Brush cakes with beaten egg, then sprinkle with white sugar. Make three parallel cuts across the top of each cake, then place on greased baking sheet.
- Bake pastries in preheated oven for 15–20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove and sprinkle with a little more sugar, then serve.
Recipe by Simple Bites at http://www.simplebites.net/english-eccles-cakes-recipe/