|Slow-Cooker Sweet & Sour Turkey Meatballs |
Prep time: 45 mins
Cook time: 7 hours
Total time: 7 hours 45 mins
Cranberries and orange juice give these meatballs their sweet & sour zing. Serve over rice or mashed potatoes.
For the meatballs:
- 3 lbs ground turkey meat
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup green onion, minced
- 1 Tablespoon ginger, minced
- 1 Tablespoon garlic, minced
- Zest of 2 oranges
- 1 cup Panko flakes or breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
For the Sauce:
- 1 cup orange juice, freshly squeezed if possible
- 4 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 6 Tablespoons honey
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 Tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 Tablespoon chopped ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 orange pepper, cubed
- 1 green pepper, cubed
- 1 large red onion, cut in large dice
- Preheat oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with foil for an easy clean-up.
- In a large bowl combine all the ingredients for the meatballs. Using your hands, gently mix to distribute ingredients throughout the meat.
- Roll ground turkey mixture into meatballs about the size of a Mandarine orange. It should yield about 24.
- Place meatballs on the baking tray and roast for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare your sauce.
- In the bottom of a slow-cooker, whisk together orange juice and cornstarch until smooth. Add vinegar, honey, stock, salt, garlic and ginger and stir to combine.
- Remove meatballs from the oven and transfer directly to the slow-cooker. Cover with cranberries, sweet peppers and red onion.
- Gently stir meatballs, sauce and vegetables until ingredients are evenly distributed. Tuck meatballs down under the liquid.
- Cover the slow-cooker and place on Low for 7 hours. Alternately, cook on High for 4 hours.
- Serve over long-grain rice or mashed potatoes.
Recipe by Simple Bites at http://www.simplebites.net/sweet-sour-turkey-meatballs-with-cranberries-peppers-slow-cooker/