Welcome to Bite This Book! Each month, I feature a cookbook of my choosing, host a Q & A with the author, and then give you a chance to win a copy or two. It’s Bite This Book, good reads on Simple Bites.
If I wasn’t particularly enthusiastic for a weekend Cinco de Mayo celebration, I am now! I’m holding Gaby Dalkin’s beautiful new cookbook, Absolutely Avocados, and each recipe is a nudge to invite some friends over and get cooking.
Gaby’s love of fresh ingredients and California cooking style comes through loud and clear with dishes like her Sweet Potato and Avocado Burgers, and the Cumin-Dusted Mahi-Mahi Tacos. I love that many recipes are healthier versions than their counterparts such as the Avocado Lobster Roll and the – yep, that’s right – Avocado Chocolate Chip Cookies.
Oh, and did I mention the entire chapter dedicated to guacamole? I’m working my way through that one first.
Read on for a super fun interview with Gaby and a chance to win a copy of Absolutely Avocados.
Q & A with Gaby of What’s Gaby Cooking.
1. Tell us a little bit about yourself and your food philosophy and cooking style.
Hmmmm let’s see. I grew up in Arizona and now I’m right smack in the middle of LA so I am really all about fresh food, southwestern and Mediterranean influences and then some serious decadence every once in a while. I like cooking a whole range of things, and I’d say I keep it healthy about 85% of the time and then the other 15% of the time I whip up some indulgent desserts, appetizers and dinners for special treats!
I was a private chef for a number of years after graduation culinary school after college. Being a private chef was amazing, and so fun because I was able to cook so many different kinds of cuisines depending on who my client was. I left the private chef world about 8 months ago to focus on my blog, the book and recipe development for some fab clients!
2. From a breakfast avocado smoothie to the amazing avocado chocolate chip cookies in the dessert chapter, your recipes truly showcase the versatility of this fruit. What was your favourite chapter to work on?
Oh, that’s a tough question – almost like asking me to pick my favorite child! I’d say the guacamole chapter is what sparked my interests in writing an avocado focused book… but the appetizer chapter was really my favorite. I’m a huge fan of throwing parties, and appetizers are basically my favorite thing to eat because you get to sample lots of different things without getting too full.
3. Thank you for telling us how to properly cut an avocado – with step-by-step photos, too! Are you on a mission to stop avocado massacre? Oh, and got any good tips on preventing browning?
YES!! It’s one of my main goals in life… stop avocado massacre and rid the world of hunger. No but in all seriousness, avocado browning is basically my worst nightmare.
There is nothing worse than a brown avocado and I’m totally going to save the day. I have 2 ways around this.
1: Eat the entire avocado in one sitting 🙂
2: If you’re only using 1/2 an avocado, rub a little lemon or lime juice on the half that you are not using and then wrap it up in plastic wrap to prevent any air from touching the avocado flesh. And then eat the rest within the next day or so.
If you’re making guacamole or something like that, just be sure to add enough acid (lemon or lime juice) and it will prevent it from turning brown.
4. Everyone probably asks this, but how many avocados did you go through for the making of this cookbook – and are you still obsessed?
Omg, we went through over 400 avocado for recipe testing and then about 100 more during the photography portion of the book. And yes – I am, and will always be obsessed with avocados!!
Thank you, Gaby! And congratulations on a amazing cookbook.
All photos by Matt Armendariz
Thanks to the publishers at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, I have a copy of Absolutely Avocados to give away.
To enter this giveaway leave a comment on this post and, just for fun, tell me your favorite way to enjoy avocados. That’s it.
Giveaway ends Sunday, May 5, at 8:00 AM EST. Good luck to all!